Monday, January 3, 2011

First Annual NFL Mock Draft Top Ten (2011)

Let me start off by saying Happy New Year to my 3 readers and hope you enjoy my first attempt at a mock draft.

Round 1

1. Carolina Panthers - Andrew Luck QB (Stanford) It is no secret that Andrew Luck is the darling of this year's draft, and it is debatable whether the Panthers need a Quarterback.  I feel, however, that with a new coach incoming they will want to have "their" guy and will have to take Luck.

2. Denver Broncos - Patrick Peterson DB (LSU): The Broncos secondary is a big weakness, and won't be getting any stronger with Champ Bailey becoming an UFA at the end of this season.  I see them going best defensive player on the board and it would be tough to argue against Peterson.  He is not only an improving cover guy, but a threatening return man.  I think this is a great pick for Denver.


3. Buffalo Bills - Cam Newton QB (Auburn): Here is the first "bad" pick of the draft.  The Bills were unfortunate to be as "good" as they were this year, and made it impossible to draft Andrew Luck.  Cam Newton is a very underrated (for the NFL) prospect who I believe will make a team very happy, as long as he has a year to learn under a veteran.  If the Bills can be patient enough to start Fitzpatrick ahead of him for a full year, I think this could be a good move.

4. Cincinnati Bengals - AJ Green WR (Georgia): This pick all comes down to if you believe that Ochocinco and TO are done in Cinci, and I believe they are.  AJ Green is the 2nd best player in this years draft in my opinion, and will make a great #1 target for years to come for whoever takes over for the struggling Carson Palmer in the next year or two. 


5. Arizona Cardinals - Nick Fairley DE/DT (Auburn): Fairley is a beast, and the Cardinals need all the help they can get on both sides of the ball.  He could fit in great in the 3-4 and have an instant impact.  The Cardinals are still looking for a QB but I don't see there being one worth the #5 pick, especially with Newton and Luck off the board already in this Mock.


6. Cleveland Browns - DaQuan Bowers DE (Clemson): The biggest need for Cleveland is a WR so that Colt McCoy has more weapons to throw to, but this is too early to take Julio Jones, and Bowers is a freakish athlete that the Browns may not want to pass on.  The smart play would be to trade down from this spot, but since I can't play with that scenario I'll go with this pick.


7. San Francisco 49ers - Marcell Dareus DE (Alabama): The 49ers need help all over the field, including QB, but Dareus is a great player at a position of need. He will be a great addition to a struggling defense next to Aubrayo Franklin.  If the new coach is pushing it I could see them stretch for Gabbert from Missouri, but I'll let Free Agency happen before I change this pick.


8. Tennessee Titans - Robert Quinn DE/OLB (UNC): Even though Quinn sat out the entire 2010 season for Carolina, I see him having a great showing at the Combine and impressing scouts that were already well aware of his ability.  The Titans need to sure up their front seven, and I see them snagging back Albert Haynesworth in Free Agency.  Quinn will be a great addition on the outside to get some real pressure on opponents QBs.


9. Dallas Cowboys - Prince Amukamara CB (Nebraska): The one real weakness on the Cowboys (outside of coaching) is their secondary.  Amukamara is the best cover corner available and will be great to sure up an already talented defense.


10. Washington Redskins - Jake Locker QB (Washington): Trust me, it pains me to put this as the pick for my beloved Redskins, but there was much talk last year about Shanahan falling in love with Locker's play and he's not showing any signs of trusting McNabb or Grossman to run this offense for the long term.  I see him playing 2nd teamer behind Grossman for maybe half the year before the fans of DC take control and throw him in the ring.  My hope will be best DEFENSIVE player available or a WR such as Julio Jones. But I think it will be Locker in the 10 spot.

I will finish the rest of the top 20 later on this week. Hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment